I still don’t believe HOW GOOD this tastes, so crunchy and chocolatey and satisfying I want to give it a hug. It is so easy to make too.
It is inspired on the original recipe by Angela Liddon from OhSheGlows, which you can find here.
Now, instead of sweetening it with maple syrup like she did (which I am sure also tastes awesome), I added dried cranberries and raisins instead, just because I prefer avoiding sweeteners in general. So feel free to try it either way, depending on how much of a sweet tooth you have.
Oh, and just as a general piece of advice, follow the instructions when it comes to roasting the nuts – meaning, don’t try to take sneaky shortcuts because you’ll end up with a tray of…black fuming charcoal-looking stuff…listen to the voice of wisdom.
WHAT’s in there:
*1/2 cup dried cranberries & raisins
*1/4 cup raw pepita seeds
*1/4 cup raw hazelnuts
*1/4 cup raw silvered almonds
*1/3 cup large flake unsweetened dried coconut
*1/2 cup virgin coconut oil
*1/2 cup raw cacao powder
HOW It’s done:
- Preheat oven to 300f. Line a 9″ square pan with a baking sheet and set aside
- Add hazelnuts, silvered almonds and pepitas on a baking sheet and roast in the oven for 10 minutes. Remove baking sheet and add the coconut flakes and spread out. Roast the nuts and coconut flakes for another 3-4 minutes, or until the coconut is lightly golden.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the coconut oil over low heat. (You only need this step if you live where the coconut oil solidifies, in Puerto Rico that clearly doesn’t happen) Take away from heat and whisk in the cacao powder (I strongly suggest you sift). Stir in half of the almonds, hazelnuts, pepitas and ALL of the dried fruit.
- Pour the chocolate mixture onto the prepared baking sheet and smooth out until it’s about 1/2 inch thick. Sprinkle on the remaining nuts and all of the coconut flakes. Place into freezer on a flat surface for about 20 minutes, until frozen solid.
- Once frozen, break apart. Keep it stored in the freezer and sneakily munch on it all day long.
why this is a great way to enjoy sweet;
First of all, the ingredients are ALL HEALTHY. You also skip the weird, unrecognizable stuff that is regularly put in commercial chocolate & can actually control how much sugar you want to put in there. If you are vegan, or just ditching dairy in general, this is the way to go.